Saturday, February 16, 2013

Letter to Blue

If Missy could have left a letter of advice for Blue, here is what it would have said:

Dear Blue,

Wow...you lucked out, buddy.  These people love dogs.  Just want to give you a bit of advice that might make things easier for you.

1.  First of all, you have 30 acres to roam around on.  Get out there and have some fun, but don't go too far.  Lewis Ave is too far.  I learned that the hard way.

2.  These people are busy.  If they happen to forget to feed you, fend for yourself.  There's a buffet of choices out there.  Turtles, mice, rabbits...all for the taking.

3.  Please, please go out to the pasture to do your business.  I don't think I ever caused them to lift a shovel and scoop my poop.  Be considerate...head out on those 30 acres I mentioned.  You've got lots of room - no need to mess up the yard!

4.  All those pricey squeaky toys, raw hides, fluffy stuffed animals and fancy tug toys from PetSmart....you don't need them and Bill doesn't want to buy them anyway (he's kind of tight).  You have an endless supply of rocks out there.  Learn to like 'em. 

5.  Go down to the barn with Bill at night.  He usually goes down there to feed the horses after he helps get the kids in bed.  It's dark and he might need you.

6.  The horses.  This brings me to the horses.  They are big.  You are not bigger than them and you never will be.  If you choose to act like a big shot - make sure you are on the other side of the fence.  Learn to get along with them.  It will serve you well.  (The fence is electric, by the way...watch your ears if you decide to slide under it)

7.  Do NOT scratch on the door.  They'll let you in if it's too cold, too rainy, too hot.  Just relax and enjoy the scenery.  I don't remember ever lifting my paw to scratch.  Never had to. 

8.  Will loved me.  You should know that up front.  He will warm up to you too.  Give him time.  You need to follow him around when he's in the yard - that kid gets into everything.  Keep an eye on him, but don't get too close when he's on his four wheeler unless you are lightening fast like me.  

9.  The ponds out there are great for a swim when it's hot, an extra drink if needed, or a quick bath.  Don't be a pansy - get in there!

10.  Begging for food is not cool.  Please refer to bullet point #2. 

11.  Pick your spot in the front yard and wait patiently for them to come home.  I said they are busy, but they always come home.  You should be there to greet them and make them feel safe - every single time. 

12.  If you hear something that requires a bark, by all means bark.  Do not bark to hear yourself bark. 

13.  Above all, have fun.  Kate is sweet, Claire is an absolute blast, and Will is all boy, a true playmate.  Enjoy your new family and try, TRY to mind your manners! 

Love and best wishes,
Missy

p.s. I hear there is a cat in the mix now.  You are on your own there.  I would have eaten him by now.  I guess if you make "nice" with the cat, you can actually score one on me.  Make it count!


1 comment:

  1. I love these last three post -- they all made me cry. I knew Missy came from George, hadn't heard the full story. LOVE this pics of Kate, Claire, and Will in bed :)

    ReplyDelete