Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oh, I get it now. This is cool!

A few weeks back, the girls were involved in a parade here in Skiatook.  We have been to this same parade a couple of times.  It's part of the annual Pioneer days celebration.  It's a typical small town parade....the high school band, cheerleaders, local businesses, little cars, homecoming court and lots of candy throwing.  This year, the girls were asked by our neighbor/riding instructor if they would be interested in doing some vaulting in the parade as a way to drum up business and also just for fun.  "YES!"  was their answer.  Of course.  Who wouldn't want to do flips on the back of a horse while clip clopping down Main street?  Vaulting, for those who are unsure, is basically gymnastics performed on horseback.  They have been taking lessons with our cute neighbor for a while now.  It's convenient (did I mention she's our neighbor?!) and a mix of two things they really enjoy.  Their job in the parade was to help pass out fliers and take turns doing some vaulting on Belle, a big beautiful vaulting horse.  So, on parade morning, we got ready, loaded up and went down to the high school to meet up with the rest of the gang.  I got them settled in and then met up with Bill and Will.  We enjoyed the parade and waited patiently for the girls to appear. 

Then, as the first few floats came by flinging candy at a very stoic Will, I realized that this was his first parade.  He was a little overwhelmed by the whole scene and it took him a while to warm up to the idea of all of these loud vehicles parading by throwing candy at him.  But then it hit him....this is CANDY!  And I am supposed to go get it! 

I love these pics.  It shows his progression from uncertain toddler to thrilled parade spectator.  You can almost see the light bulb go on in one of these pictures.   Oh - and there's a picture of Claire standing up on the back of a horse while clip clopping down Main street.     

What is this? 


I don't know....this is loud.  I don't get it.

Dad, are you sure we should pick that candy up? 

Okay, okay.  I'm getting this.  Hello, candy! 

Like this? 

Woo Hoo!!  This is my kind of morning!

I got it, I got it! 

My loot!

Hellllooooo cheerleaders! 

Claire, standing up on Belle, clip clopping down Main street


No comments:

Post a Comment